Monday, March 23, 2009

Founder's Day 2009

Alright, those of you from JC know what a big deal Founder's day is. It's the day that Brigham Young founded JC. Yup, he did. (right?) ANyway, it's pretty much one of the 2 biggest day JC has. (24th of July being the other). So we started out the day with the anvils going off all over town around 6am. The kids came running into our room yelling, "we heard bombs, someone has bombs!". Pretty exciting. So we got our jackets on and walked across the street to the church where the 5K and 10K started (no bike races this year :( ) We watched all of them go off then we went inside the church for the killer pancake breakfast. Mmmm. Then, as we were letting the kids beat up on the neighborhood kids, we ran into an old friend...from Holbrook, Danny McDowell. WE got to talking, catching up, then all of a sudden, when I asked why he was here. He said, we read in the paper that Joseph City was having a 5K for Federation day. Um....did he say Federation day? Ok, that was it! I brought out the big guns and told him to leave my town! He laughed. Ugh! Then I went inside while him and Jase stayed outside talking about organic farming and cinergery and when I came out, I warned him that if he sat food inside that building the townspeople would destroy him for not knowing that it's our Founder's day. BIG difference between Holbook and Joseph City. BIG!
On to the next events of the day. The Tractor show. Ooooohhh. Ok, the kids actually loved it...and I think Jase did a bit too. There were some really old tractors there and some pretty sweet new ones. This picture was cooler in my mind. I had no idea Boston was blinking and Jaden wasn't even looking, but just imagine if you will...cool right?
THen we went to the Turkey Shoot, and well, all of the other kids had guns their size and the wait was killing us, so we took off and went out to the badlands so the kids could shoot trash out there.


Then we came home, semi slept for a bit, then went to the BBQ and auction...my favorites. Sadly, a girl that usually puts really cute baby quilts in (Kourtney!) didn't this year, so I had nothing super exciting to bid on...although there was some sweet cowboy metal art that would have looked amazing in my boys cowboy room...I got outbid...a l ot.....you'll pay Earl Roberson, You'll pay!!!!
Then we took the kids across town to the horseless rodeo. Kinda sad, they were super stoked, and Kam is, as you all know, the queen of catchign chickens. Sadly, she's not the queen of being fast. And Jaden is the opposite...speedy, but not realy into catching chickens. So we didn't catch a chicken...but look how scared the chicken looks.

Then on to the boot race. Jaden on the far right, Kam on the far left. They didn't let the younger kids have horses since t hey were lethally sharp pointy sticks. All of us moms were holding our breath the whole time to see who got stabbed...I believe everyone was fin.




Then we came home, rested again, and Jase and I went to the movies with my dad so we could ditch the dance. It was a great founder's day! We did miss the volleyball tourney, but we had a great time!
Oh, and I have to share this picture. I ordered some bulk potatoes, chicken and cheese from Shamrock last week and well, this cheese was the biggest cheese ever! Jase told our Sunday School class that he was cutting cheese all morning. Isn't it awesome? The kids loved it!







9 comments:

Dayna said...

Oh Founder's Day.. The memories! Haha I used to love that day when I was little! And holy hannah that is a huge block of cheese. Tyrel and I would be eating that for years! But kudos for buying in bulk!

Kristal said...

WE figured it'll last us through the year. We shredded and froze it...and I'm sure we'll be taking a pound or two up to my mom. haha! We love cheese though!

The Fish Family said...

A BIG difference between Holbrook and JC huh? Where do I fit into that comment? I think that there wasn't any vball this year because two Holbrook girls (and a JC boy) cleaned up last year!! I wish that there would have been though. I miss playing. It was awesome chatting with ya for a few minutes. My boys are still crying about leaving your house. Apparantely you are the coolest!!

Alona said...

Aaawwww! I love Founder's Day! I wish I could have been there! That cheese is incredible, by the way. Oh, and those announcements you're making for Susannah are so cute!

Staci said...

Looks like a blast! So why are the kids holding sticks while they run anyways? Is there a purpose to it? Truly though looks like you had lots of fun! And that cheese is awesome!

Kourtney Dawn said...

OK!!! When you find out what you are having lmk and I will make you a baby quilt, so be on the lookout for cute material (flannel or minky for the back)!!!

Lisa said...

It has been so long since I been to one of Joseph City Founder's Day. It looked alot of fun I will have to come up for one.

Love the big cheese I buy cheese from like that all the time and grate it and freeze all 40 lbs!!!

Westover Bunch said...

Founders day is always the best, I am so sad we missed it, looks like you guys had fun!

LuAnne said...

We really didn't do any founders day stuff this year - except for the BBQ.

Isn't that cheese the best? We bought one & Aiden was telling everyone for days that we had big cheese. I love having it though. We have been going through it fast!