Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Wreck

Most of you remember 7 years ago I was in a pretty serious wreck. I decided since it was the lucky 7 year anniversary of it, and nothing bad happened that I'd be ok to write about it. I've never written about it anywhere, and although it wasn't a great event in my life, it was significant, so I figured I'd bettered write about it before I forget more about it.
It was 3 months after we got married. We had just gotten done moving into our apartment on Gilbert, between baseline and guadalupe (which are now condos) and Cara, Paul and myself were headed to the movies I believe from eatting with Jase and his family at the Hawaiian resturant that they loved to eat at. Anyway, we pulled in front of a car going about 45-55mph and got t-boned, and I was the t-bonee. And now I am the biggest freak about being buckled up, even bigger about kids being buckled up, but luckily back then I wasn't, so I wasn't buckled up or the damage would have been worse. The car hit me (the car we were in was so old it didn't have safety side beams) and pushed me over. It hit me in my big ole hips. fractured them, bruised up the whole right side of my body, crushed a few ribs, internal bleeding, glass all over in my arm and tons of internal conditions that I'm still dealing with. Now I'mg oing to write more about the actual wreck. I remember seeing the car coming to me and saying, well, a really ba "sh" word about 5 times in a row (bad I know, and I've only cussed once since then), being hit, the car spinning, hitting a curb, and stopping. Then I remember the driver of the other car coming and yelling at cara, not even asking if everyone was ok, just going off on poor cara. And I think Cara called 911..I'm not sure. ANyway, I seriously thought I was paralized. I could NOT move my legs at all. I was scared to death, covered in blood and a total mess. The paramedics came and got Paul out of the back. He was a little shook up, but I think he was fine, at least physically. They asked me to move my feet, I couldn't, so they picked me up took me to stretcher, cut my clothes off (so embarassing) to check everything, and the ambulance took me half a block (and asked $400 for that half a block) and that's where the air evac picked me up, which was awful! They kept hitting my legs with the controller thing and I was soo scared anyways...still hadn't cried. Then we landed, and they wheeled the stretcher into the ER where I was asked a billion questions. I gave them vonda's phone number and then I started crying. I felt soo alone, SO ALONE and scared. I remember the ER doc being able to tell and so he tried to distract me by saying I have awesome eyes...I had my brown contacts in. Anyway, through all of this they kept asking if I might be pregnant, and I told them we had been trying (for a week). They did tests, they all came back negative. Anyway, as soon as I saw the first person I knew, I really felt a lot better, and then when they told me my legs were ok I was about 10x better. So they wheeled me to a triage type place where my family came to visit me. My favorite was when Tamee came to see me. I didn't think I looked that bad...most of the blood was cleaned up, and most of my shizzle was internal so I did'nt feel like I looked that bad, but she passed out when she saw me...hit her head on some of my machines and stole my thunder! Thanks Tam. Ha, actually it was quite funny. ANyway, so I spent 2 nights in the ICU, and another 5 days in a regular room where I had those things on my legs day and night to keep the blood flowing and physical therapists came in and tried to help me start walking with a walker which I was kinda able to do by the time we left. I could go about 10 steps w/o dying. I also had the coolest gay nurse, John, who helped cheer me up everyday. He used to come into my room singing that song, crap what was it, something like "hey, it's all bout the money" or somethign like that. I can sing it in my head, just can't remember the words, anyway, I remember my digestive system shut down within a couple of days because I went from being REALLY active to laying in bed for days and he had to shove suppositories up my butt, I know, lovely thought, but he knew I hated it, so one day he said, "oh, don't worry honey, they melt in your butt, not in my hand". Aww, everyone needs a nurse like that. Anyway, the digestive system still isn't up and running. Jase swears he's going to get it going. For now, I rely on my friend Dr. Shultz. Ok, back to the wreck,...


Seriously I didn't know I looked this bad...look at how my sisters are looking at me! Looks like death!


Ok, so when it was time to go home, my dad kept trying to get pictures...not funny! And my mom was driving. And my mom is a scary driver...in my opinion, but she must be good because she lives in her car, and hasn't been in a wreck. But I was soo nervous the whole time. She took us to Randa's where we lived for about a month since I couldn't do stairs and we had just moved our stuff into a 2nd story apartment the day of the wreck and they woudlnt' let us out of our lease. PUNKS! SO Randa was nice enough to let us sleep in their extra room. Jase was working 12 hour days so Randa had to hel pme a ton. I had to go in a few times for cat scans and x rays and all that fun stuff, and then I was having major stomach pains, which we thought might be from the twice a day lovinox shots that Sam had to give me in my stomach (blood thinner), or maybe it was another reaction to the pain killers. I had to try 3 different kinds in the hospital because I kept throwing up, which they THOUGHT was an allergic reaction. Anyway, so finally we went to an internist to check out if my stomach pains had to do with the lack of bm's I'd had, so I went in, and did some test and she had me go to the waiting room, then asked me to come into her office because she needed to tell me something. I remember being soo nervous. She sat me down and said, "did you know you're pregnant?". And luckily I was so naive to what could have been bad about that situation, and I got so excited! So that night I went home and sat Jase down on my lap in the wheelchair and told him. He was excited too, and my sisters seemed excited, bu ta couple later told me that they were pretty nervous for the whole situation, and looking back now. I'm an airhead! I had 3 doctors tell me that the option of aborition is there...just because of the cat scans, x-rays, pain killers, and the actual wreck, all happening w/in the first trimester which is when the brain, body, bones, everythign develops. Kinda a crutial time. ANyway, I finally found one that didn't even give me that option, he just made sure that I saw a perinatologist once a week throughout the pregnancy. And luckily the pregnancy was amazing. The fracture in my hip bone didn't split anymore, which they were really afraid of with me being pregnant and the bone not fully healing beforehand, everything was great and the kid is freaking awesome! One of my top 3! Sometimes he says things and I think, "aww, that's just the painkillers kicking in", but he's a miracle baby! I LOVE HIM! SO after about 2-3 weeks in wheelchair, I started using a walker and crutches for a few weeks, and we went swimming every morning since it was the ONE thing I could do for exercise for a few months...which yes did wonders for the pregnancy....75lbs in 5 months!!!
As horrible and hard and painful as this time was in my life I am SO glad it happened. jase and I fought so much our first 3 months, and the day the wreck hit, our marriage has been just about perfect since. We really grew together from it. Jase was in the salt river canyon during the wreck, picking up our firs tjeep wagoneer that broke down in there, and he was called and told, and hurried to the hospital to see me. It was horrible! Anyway, the wreck taught me a lot of things. Humility, Forgiveness, Patience, and most of all Faith.
Randa's house




20 comments:

Dramatic Imaging said...

Wow, I am sure that was not fun to write about. Thank the Lord though, eh? I going to a Shupe family reunion I think this summer in St. Johns. Are you going to stay with Jana? I would like to invite you to the reunion (even it it is not at my house). Ask her if I can stay too since you talk to her and I never do! I left a comment on her and Jamie's blog but I never heard back. Tell my family hi!!!!!

K Bailey said...

So were you already pregnant when you had the wreck? We had a similar thing happen to us-we had been married about six weeks and got in a bad wreck on AZ Ave between Guadalupe and Elliot. They air evac'd me too....but first cut off my clothes while I was lying on AZ. Ave.....which I didn't know until later. Funny thing was it was a favorite bra so I had my aunt sew it back together! I'm kind of a freak in the passenger seat now and can't seem to get over that. How about you?

Ashley and Matt Marx said...

Man that sounds really crappy. Plus all the stuff that you still have to deal with 7 years latter not fun.

Kristal said...

HOLY FREAKING CRAP KATEE! That's right where my wreck was and I was pissed off about t hem cutting my favorite bra, so my sister Tamee went and bought me a new one just like it! And YES I'm the worst passenger. I hardly go with anyone. Jase is th eonly driver I trust and I still nag constantly!!!

Unknown said...

Ah Memories.....

I have a great picture of Tamee laying on the table across from you. We were soooo worried about you and I have many memories of that time. I wish you would have stayed with me, but I dont remember having a big enough bed or being brave enough to give you shots in your stomache! My Postpardumdepression post is gonna be boring compared to this, but I feel the same way, you gotta tell it. You really are afraid to drive with me???

Biddle Family said...

Kristal! I actually remember the day of your accident. I was afraid to come visit you at the apartment after you got home.. why I don't know I thought you might still be broken or something. It was a really scary time then finding out you were pregnant... but we had some good times swimming huh??? I don't know if you remember. Sure glad everything turned out ok!

Amy John said...

Kristal, I am glad you told that story because I have always been curious of the details. You were right, that was really bad! it is a miracle you and Jaden are alive and well. What a scary time... thanks for sharing the story!

Amy D. Hall Riter said...

Oh my goodness! That looks horrible. I am so glad that you are okay now- 7 years later! :)

Tamee said...

OK I'm so embarrass and had hoped that the memorie of me fainting would not be documented. Great picture of Jo and I spaced out. I wish I were that skinny again. And Vonda does have a funny picture of me strapped down in a table in the ER. That wreck could have been so much worse. We're happy to have you here. I do remember you being sad about the bra.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

Unknown said...

Hey, Flores stopped by mine too. Arent we blessed. A hug

Bre said...

Holy crap, what a story.

Miken Harding said...

Was wondering when I would hear the story! Thanks for sharing. Like they say if it doesn't kill you it just makes ya stronger! Sounds like you proven that.

Burgess said...

I'm sitting here crying just reading about it and seeing you alll beat up. Is it me, or does Jason look like he's 15 there in the last pic? SO glad you made it through and SO SO sorry that I wasn't in contact with you then so I could be there for you and send you flowers and swim with you and whatever else that you needed then.

Harshes said...

Wow. You had told me bits and pieces of the story and I already knew you were a really all about our kids being buckled the right way when we went VT and that anytime we went anywhere, YOU had to drive...but Wow, that's intense. I'm happy too that you are here and so is your miracle boy! Sorry for the lingering issues. It's so sweet the faith Jason has...I know you will get better too! Thanks for sharing your story.

AudyCamp said...

Ok so reading all the little details ...I'm seriously naucious!! I remember Ali calling and telling me about your accident! What a great gift to have a perfect marriage as a result of a car accident!:)

Alona said...

Wow! I've only heard a few details here and there. Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad you're "mostly" okay now! :) You guys are awesome!

Kay said...

What a way to find out you're pregnant! I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

Mary Ann said...

holy cow.. that is the scariest thing. that car was so messed up! i have been in a couple of wrecks (not as bad as yours) but they are so scary. so glad you are ok!

Anonymous said...

Wow what a ightmare. I bet you never in a million years thought you would be grateful for the accident. I am so glad you are ok. I remember seeing Cara the day after teh accident, she was a mess, just crying hysterically and she had dried blood all in her hair and it was on her clothes and she hadn't wased up or anything, I don't know if it was your blood on her or her own. I can't imagine how bad you must have felt, but if it were me, I would much rather be the one who got hurt then the one who caused it, that had to kill Cara knowing she was responsible for the accident, I felt so bad fo rhte both of you during that time, I am so glad you survived it and your friendship survived, you guys are awsome!