Friday, December 21, 2012

When we're helping we're happy...

This morning we had a lesson on the Lamanites after the sons of Mosiah called them to repentance.  And how they stopped fighting and immediately started being hard workers, and how happy they were.  It was a great lesson for our kids to learn that  when they were fighting, and idle, they were't happy, but when they quit working and put their efforts and energy towards working and serving, they became happy.  I later started thinking about how it's true with me too.  There are so many days that I wish I could just sit on the couch for an hour or two, watch TV and eat a bowl of ice cream.  I haven't had a day that I have been able to sit on the couch for more than 10 or 15 minutes (other than folding laundry) for months and months....and I've been getting happier and happier.  I know a lot of people stress about their busyness, but I see so many more that don't do anything with their day and are depressed. I think I'll take my few moments of stress per day over days and days of depression.    And I always feel like my busyness isn't serving (thanks to Holly Service Hancock) but at the end of each day I realize that 90% of what I do each day isn't for me...it's for these naughty monkies, and Jase.  We pointed out to the kids that their Uncles are hard workers, and when they aren't at work, they're serving others...helping people move, helping with  other people's parties, fixing cars, or church callings. A nd their aunts are always...ALWAYS helping others out...sending care packages, helping other people paint their houses, watching other people's kids, taking them food, etc...  It's amazing to see the happiness in people that are busy and serving, and so sad to see the sadness in those that are so idle.  
I hope my kids can remember this and not fight ALL DAY AGAIN TODAY!!!
(happy helpers)

No comments: